Friday, August 13, 2010

Battle of the Ninjas: The Unwritten Rule

So, this is not really a "battle" per se; rather a lively discussion on Brianna the potential evil Frenemy in The Unwritten Rule. Here the NinJa’s try to flesh out whether Brianna was truly underhanded and evil or if it was unintentional and an unfortunate product of her upbringing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nin: Oh! I finished The Unwritten Rule. Boy. I don't even know what to say. I mean, I think the author wants you to see that Brianna was so attached to Sarah b/c she knew that Sarah was highly dependent on her and knew that Sarah would always back her up or act as her echo when she wanted to re-emphasize her opinion to someone else. And Sarah had the parents that Brianna wanted, Brianna always discarded people so she could be the one leaving them and not the other way around like how her parents ditched her. What was interesting was that she was not the all-powerful popular girl who could influence the other students into hating Sarah & Ryan a la Anna of Some Girls Are. And also, how other ppl who hung out with Brianna for awhile but then ditched her saw how mean & catty her remarks were. Sarah was the only one who put up with her for so long b/c it was like she felt like she owed it to Brianna for saving her. Sarah really needed a spine sooner. What did you think? I'm still kind of digesting.

Ja: See I'm a little conflicted about Brianna. But mostly I don't think I'd put her in the same category as Anna. Like I don’t think Brianna was as intentionally mean as Anna was. Like she doesn't rule w/ an iron fist or is all caught up in mind games. I think all her backhanded compliments & put downs were more... unintentional. Whereas Anna, I think Anna was fully aware of how much she'd hurt so and so by saying or doing stuff (and she liked it). I think Brianna really didn’t know how to function as a normal person b/c of her mother. Its like abuse begets abuse.

Though then part of me thinks that Brianna was aware she's being insulting or a part of her wants to keep Sarah down but that's b/c Brianna herself has such low self-esteem (which if you grew up w/ that mother, you'd have issues...). Add to it what you said, about Brianna wanting Sarah's parents too. She's not only insecure about herself but she's jealous of what Sarah has (and probably wonders, b/c I think she thinks she's better than Sarah, why does Sarah have such great parents if I'm better than her and have such awful parents).
Do you think Brianna knew that Sarah liked Ryan? Cause I'm still trying to figure that out, too. Its like, did Brianna go after Ryan b/c he was kind of attractive and she knew he was possibly interested in Sarah. And she's so jealous of Sarah, she wouldn’t want Sarah to become successful in love/relationships. B/c its like the one thing that Brianna had over Sarah, namely the boys. I kinda don’t think so. I think it was more Brianna only really thinks about herself and it doesn’t really penetrate her universe that Sarah might like Ryan or how Sarah would feel if she started going out w/ Ryan.
Oh and I think Ryan was the one who needed to get a spine. None of it would have happened if he wasn’t such a dumbass. Its like yeah Brianna probably wasn’t the bestest friend for Sarah, but if he had been straight up and more insistent about pursuing Sarah and not falling into a relationship w/ Brianna then he could've not cost Sarah her besty. Stupid boy.
I thought both Sarah & Ryan needed to get spines. It was so annoying to me that Sarah just couldn't say no and she just kept on putting herself in situations that were torture to her.
I think you're right though. I think Brianna was just so self-absorbed she never thought Sarah had any chance with any guys so even if Sarah liked someone, what did it matter b/c the guys would just like Brianna. She was used to that role of guys liking her over Sarah that she just couldn't fathom any other possibility. I also think you're rt that this was the one thing over Sarah that she had so she had to keep making sure that Greg didn't like Sarah and such. And I guess she was so obsessed with Ryan b/c he didn't really like Brianna anyways, so she didn't have a hold over him like she normally has with other guys.
But yeah, Brianna wasn't like Anna but she was still pretty mean with her words. It's like she didn't think her words were hurtful b/c there was one instance where Sarah told her she was hurt by what she said and she was surprised. I don't think she was fake-surprised either, but genuinely surprised.
But yeah, it's unfortunate that a stupid boy got in the way of their friendship. But in a way, it was necessary b/c then otherwise Sarah would never have started to be more confident and stand up for herself. So...esh. It's not an easy story to figure out what should've happened to make it all turn out okay.
Yeah...what should've happen is Ryan shouldn't have been a dumb boy in the first place and gone out w/ Brianna. Idiot.

But yes I totally agree. I think Brianna knew Ryan was just not that into her and she was freaking out and it made her want him (but not necessarily like him) more.

Though honestly, would you really want to date a guy who liked you but ended up going out w/ your besty? I don’t think I would. Well but then again she liked him for years. But if that was the case then I still think Brianna should've known that. Added to that, there was the time where she kinda hit on that one guy that went to the dance w/ Sarah. Which makes me think maybe she did know (that Sarah dug him) and she decided to pursue Ryan anyway b/c she just couldn't handle it if Sarah got into a good relationship.
But I dunno...I really don’t see Brianna as an evil, conniving witch like that, maybe just an unintentional, self-absorbed, insecure witch? And yeah, I agree that Brianna was genuinely surprised when Sarah told her she was hurt. So I guess she does the backhanded compliments & cutdowns unintentionally? It’s like second nature or something and Sarah's too much of a wuss to point that out.
Ooh yes...you're right. Sarah needed to grow a backbone and tell her from the beginning before Brianna & Ryan hooked up that she liked him and what the hell are you doing. But I wonder if Brianna would've backed off (if she was any kind of good besty obviously she would've, but that's questionable...).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the NinJas are at an impasse.
Is Brianna a poacher? And evil, manipulative witch? Or is she completely unaware of her mean girl tendencies? She probably lies somewhere in the middle. But we concluded one thing, Ryan was a stupid boy and Sarah needed to grow a backbone sooner.

Read it! And tell us what you think. Because we obviously can't figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment