Friday, August 27, 2010

{NIN} Books I’ve Read but Couldn’t Figure out What to Say About

I’ve read a ton of YA Lit recently that I simply could not put pen to paper and write a full and thoughtful review for. So rather than not cover any at all, I thought I would provide bursts of thoughts on each book.

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
Finn is one of the main characters in the book trapped in Incarceron, a gigantic prison. He can’t remember his past but he has a strong feeling that he came from Outside (of the prison) – an impossible thought. Or is it? Claudia, a girl on the Outside, may have the answers to his questions.


Reads like a cross between the following movies: The Matrix, Moses, Men in Black, and Man in the Iron Mask. {Ja} says that the only thing all those have in common is that they begin with the letter “M.” But somehow Catherine Fisher managed to mush them all together into one story. Did it work? The ending was like totally YOWZAS. And it was intriguing enough that I’ll read the follow-up book (Sapphique) when it comes out in December.

Didn’t Suffer Too Terribly


Fallen by Lauren Kate
The story of a Fallen Angel Daniel Grigori and a mortal girl Luce who keep falling in love over and over and over for the last century or so. And apparently, his kiss is fatal to her. Will these silly mortals never learn?


It was somewhat intriguing, the idea of fallen angels and such. Got some love angst going on. Eh...I read it awhile ago. I'll read the rest of the series when it comes out too though.

Didn’t Suffer Too Terribly


Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Clumsy supernatural half-witch girl Sophie Mercer gets sent to a paranormal reform school and learns the truth about her father, her ancestors, and herself. There is also the requisite mysterious and unattainable hot guy Archer with awesome powers to angst the heck out of Sophie.

I Digs


The Line by Teri Hall
This book kind of reminded me of The Hunger Games. There was some kind of war in the past, and now there is a scary central government running the show…communist-like. There is also some kind of invisible force field (called The Line) that borders the entire north side of the country because the government wants to keep the undesirables from The Away (on the other side of the force field) out. I giggled at this because I was thinking that The Away was Canada.

I Digs



Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I really liked this book. And then I got to the ending. And I wanted to punch Katsa. But it had a good mystery for most of the book. And I loved Po, even though that’s a panda’s name.

I Digs


Fire by Kristin Cashore
So much better than Graceling! Katsa annoyed me towards the end (just marry Po already, dagnabbit!) but Fire was just a cool and collected cucumber…except when it came to Brigan. Les sigh. I {heart} Brigan! I love how he was mean and gruff to her at the beginning but slowly warmed up to her, showing her small kindness and ways that he was starting to care about her (protective of her, concerned if she was unwell, etc). I loved watching their relationship unfold. The romantic aspect of the story is always the highlight of any book for me! Graceling had a better mystery, but Fire was a better complete story. A supporting character, Archer, was kind of a butthead but his fate is…chilling. And wow, talk about messed up family ties.

Awesome


Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Interesting how the author laid the story out. Each chapter alternated between the perspectives of Grace and Sam, whom I guess you can call star-crossed lovers. It took me a bit to get into but I was more interested by the end of the book.

I Digs


The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
A faery series…the main character, Meghan Chase, annoyed me. I think she’s kind of really irritating at times. I’m only reading it for Prince Ash: tall, dark, handsome, and deadly. I’m currently reading the 2nd book in the series, The Iron Daughter, so I might actually write a review for it if I can find my prose.

Didn’t Suffer Too Terribly


Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers
Really mess-you-up-in-the-head kind of book. Depressing. Kind of creepy too. But I guess it’s an unusual and brave kind of story to write. But I really prefer my fairytale happy endings.

Didn’t Suffer Too Terribly


Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Really, really good book that inspired me to be a better person. It was hard to write a review without giving too much of the story away. It was just good. But also slightly depressing because...well, because... I was actually quite devastated in the end.

Awesome


The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Grace and Daniel have a past, people are trying to keep them apart…and Daniel has a secret. Mildly entertaining. The back story was rather interesting.

Didn’t Suffer Too Terribly


Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott
I actually really liked this book but I was never in the mood to write a full review about it. Unpopular Kate’s life has taken a turn for the worse: she’s been dumped by her ex-best friend who went from overweight outcast to gorgeous supermodel cheerleader and is forced to work at her financially irresponsible father’s vitamin stand in the mall. She strikes up an unlikely relationship with cutie popular classmate Will, who also works at the mall. How does she make peace with all this in the end?

I Digs


Wow, so are you noticing a trend? YA books like to use a lot of the same names: Ash, Grace, Sam, Daniel, Finn, Archer, Will… what is it about these names, I wonder?

Anyhoo, so those are just my quick thoughts on all these books that I’ve read but couldn’t find much to say about.

No comments:

Post a Comment