Friday, October 22, 2010

JaReview: Clockwork Angel


Cassandra Clare continues with her fast-paced shadowhunter series in this prequel to the Mortal Instruments. I was digging Clockwork Angel from the get-go. I had forgotten how awesome her witty dialogue and gritty butt kicking scenes are. I’m warning you in advance, there may be spoilers that follow this largely disjointed train of thoughts.

Clockwork Angel centered around Tessa, a girl who comes to London in search of her brother. Upon her arrival, she’s thrust into an unknown world full of demons, vampires, warlocks and, most of all, Shadowhunters.

I quite surprised that liked Tessa. You might initially write her off as the boring damsel in distress but she isn’t. She can hold her own in a verbal sparring matches even if she lacks the physical superiority to keep up the Shadowhunters. And despite her lack of fighting skills, she’s a unique power and brains to go with it that. Plus she not super whiny like Bella and that’s always a plus in my book.

I dug her unwavering loyalty to characters, whether they deserve it or not. I only hope Clare doesn't take her character down the insipid Stupid Girl Path. You know the one where Stupid Girl blindly trusts Truly-Evil-Boy, to which Secretly-Good-Boy (aka Will) has to go and save her. Although that could make for some heroic and swoon-worthy rescue scenes (and possibly loads of gratitude kisses).

If I liked Tessa, then I loved Will Herondale and all his multiple personalities. There was Will the Git (“I once thought I was a ferret…”). And of course Will the Philosopher (“Beauty fades but cooking is eternal”). Though I’m well aware I cut him too much slack. I know he doesn't mean what he says when he says mean things. *g* I blindly believe he's good deep down, even when he says truly horrible and way out-of-line things. Perhaps it’s wrong of me, and most definitely jumping to conclusions, but I believe that in the end, he’ll admit to Tessa his true feelings.

Of course Will would be his snarky self, we don't want him to go all sappy, spineless love-straught on us (like some disappointing, not-to-be-named male leads).

I adored his witty banter and appreciated how he was never really straight with anyone. He’s such a complex individual, there’s obviously some sort of childhood trauma. But I’m such a sucker for the mysterious and emotionally closed off bad boys. Honestly, how can you resist someone who’s both snarky and beautiful?

The synopsis of the book says there’s a love triangle between Tessa, Will and a third Shadowhunter, and Will’s best friend, Jem. But honestly, I really don't think Jem is going to be a true contender for Tessa’s affections. The primary reason, he seems absurdly loyal to Will. They’re parabatai and despite Will’s worse intentions, I think Jem knows him too well to let a girl get between them. I’ll probably be eating my words in the next book, but I really don't see it.

Jem strikes me as picture perfect and too good. It’s true that Tessa gets comfort from him that she obviously won’t get with Will. And Jem is her shoulder to cry on when Will’s being a tosser. But even though he's more emotionally available to Tessa there wasn’t enough of a spark.

Not that Jem is entirely lame. He is snarky enough to be slightly interesting (“but then I think of how I could kill him in his sleep and that makes me feel better.”). I’m sure he’ll find a nice Shadowhunter girl to settle down with. But until then, he needs to stay the hell away from Tessa. Unless it’s contrived to make Will crazy jealous.

On a completely different note, it’s rather hard to believe that someone as cool as Isabelle descended from someone as poncy as Gabriel Lightwood. Gabriel is a fellow Shadowhunter but is constantly at odds with Will. But their interactions were some of my favorite parts in the book. I digs Gabriel if only for the fact that he brings out Will the Git better than anyone else in the book. Their exchanges were legendary.

Cassandra Clare definitely did not disappoint with this prequel to TMI and I’m eager the next installment. Perhaps while I wait another year, I’ll get myself a cat named Church.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAH, you should've named this the "I Love Will" post. hahaha!!! But dude, I am with you there. Word up.

    ReplyDelete