Friday, October 8, 2010

JaReview: More Randomness

Here is my rendition of Nin's "bursts of thoughts" on books I've recently read, but dont really know what to say. As you can tell, I havent read anything stellar lately. Well, except Clockwork Angel, which I might like more than TMI. But more on that later.

When it Happens by Susane Colasanti
This was another one of those dual perspective books, alternating between Tobey and Sara. She’s the quintessential student government smart girl. He’s the slacker, rocker boy. But Tobey didn’t really do it for me. Perhaps because it was in his perspective, so it took away from the mysterious, enigmatic boy persona. You always know what he's thinking and sometimes, I really did not want to know. The alternating perspective got a bit dull after a while, lots of repeating the same scene only from a different point of view. It was sort of like watching an episode of the Event. And call me shallow but I just cant get behind a guy name Tobey.

Didn’t suffer to terribly


Fallen by Lauren Kate
I did not like this book. At all. It was a major case of love-pow. Luce is inexplicably drawn to Daniel but she cant figure out why. Sure you get glimpses of their past lives together, the ones that always ending with her untimely demise. But there didn’t seem to be any real connection in the current life. It was way too reminiscent of Soulmate by LJ Smith or the Immortals series by Alyson Noel, only with less significant interaction between the couple. But the sequel is on my queue. So I suppose I’m partially vested.

Didn’t suffer to terribly (but should probably be Never Again)


Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
I waited forever to get this book. So quite possibly I built it way too much in my head and, thus, it was doomed to fall short of expectations. If the Ministry of Magic ever had an alternative to Hogwarts, where they’d send all their misbehaving underage witches and wizards, Hex Hall would be it. The main character, Sophie, is ordered there after a love spell gone awry.

Upon arrival at Hex Hall, she accomplishes all the requisites of any teen novel. Piss off the most popular (and mean) girl in school. Check. Tries not to but falls for the hottest boy in school (who’s dating said mean girl). Check. Befriend the school outcast (in this case a vampire girl happens to be her roommate). Check.

Of course add to that learning the truth about her parentage and amassing more powers then the other kids. But, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the story. Though, it did seem like the events that transpired happened at the cost of character continuity (like what's her face's sacrifice at the end). And that didn’t sit well with me. But there’s a sequel, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I digs


Get Well Soon by Julie Halpern
Since I totally dug Halpern’s Wild Nerd Yonder book, I decided to give this one a try. Anna Bloom is institutionalized by her parents, much to her dismay. It was interesting because she didn’t seem to have a clear mental illness aside from maybe depression. It’s not as though she was hearing voices (who doesn't?) or anything concrete like that, but perhaps that’s what made her more relatable to a wider audience.

There are some comical characters, such the boy who claims to be a servant of the Dark Lord (and, no, I’m not talking Voldemort). Then there are some seemingly normal people that make you wonder why they’re locked up. Anna’s narration is snarky and filled with the Damn the Man thoughts, which was entertaining. I digs mostly because it was completely different from any YA I've read and a nice change up from the norm.

I digs

Need by Carrie Jones
Becoming seriously depressed after her stepfather’s death, Zara moves to Maine to live with her stepgrandma. When she finds out that her stalker, who she thought was just a figment of her imagination, is not only real but also a pixie, the sleepy, snow ridden town of Maine becomes a whole lot weirder. There are a few different takes on the normal paranormal rules, but overall the story was rather predictable. The only thing that made Zara relatively interesting was her obsession with phobias and naming them. I thought if anything I could get somewhat smarter by remembering the names of random phobias (like the fear of glass or the cold) and try to work into normal conversation but alas, I’ve forgotten them all.

Probably – Never Again

Miss Match by Wendy Toliver
This book is part of the Teen Romantic Comedy series and probably the worst one I’ve read to date. The RomCom series is much like regular trashy romance novels sans the trashy bits. When Sasha begins her match making business, setting up her classmates with their crushes, she finds it difficult to remain professional when her own crush hires her to hook up with her sister.

You don't have to read the book to know how it ends (because obviously it’s going to work out for the heroine, it always does). However the ending left me wondering, what the heck? I get that it all gets wrapped up in a pretty little package, but what I don't understand is the why and the how. Aside from the fact that it’s supposed to because that’s how all romcoms end. It was like- Bam! You’re nearing the end of the book, must get to happy ending now.

Never Again

Prada & Prejudice by Amanda Hubbard
I’m not quite sure why I picked up this book. I have an inkling that maybe Nin read one of her books and, seeing as how I have to copy everything Nin does (I am Kakashi the Copynin hehe), I had to get my hands on something by Hubbard.

Callie is your typical high school outcast. But after her besty moves away, she finds that scoffing at the cool kids isn’t as much fun when you’re all alone. So in a misguided effort to belong, she winds up buying a pair of Prada heels. (Sidenote, don’t know what high school y’all went to but at my school Chinese Laundry and Nike’s were considered chic.) Unfortunately, barely outside of the store, Callie takes a tumble and winds up in 1815. She is mistaken for a long-lost best friend and is taken to the home of a Duke. Chaos ensues as this modern, feminist girl tries to adapt to becoming a proper lady. All this while trying hard not to fall for the handsome, yet completely git-like Alex, who just happens to be the aforementioned Duke.

The book itself was interesting. Callie is snarky and smart, but then she’s also dumb and clueless. Totally contridictory but it seems to work for Callie. However, the ending was totally confusing. I still don't quite get what happen. But I cant discuss without giving it away. I think I need someone to read the book (hint hint) then explain to me what the heck happened. Still, I'd have to say -

I didn’t suffer too terribly

1 comment:

  1. COOL. I love "thought bursts." Thanks for weeding out the baddies, I'll have to pick up the Julie Halpern and Hubbard books after I finish my series of Angel books.

    I read "You Wish" by Mandy Hubbard and meant to write a review (it's an "I digs" in case you were wondering) but never got around to it...and now have nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete